Key Information for the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey
Including Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results in the Fall 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade
Information for Hospitals on One-Time Changes Due to the Leapfrog COVID-19 Response Plan
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, Leapfrog made significant changes to the requirements for hospital participation in the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey. These changes will impact the Fall 2020 Hospital Safety Grade Methodology. Leapfrog plans to publish proposed changes to the Fall 2020 Hospital Safety Grade in early May and will hold a public comment period at that time.
In the meantime, please carefully review the options for having Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results included in the Fall 2020 Hospital Safety Grade below. Revisit this page frequently to check for updates, and/or sign up for our newsletter to be alerted when the proposed changes to the Fall 2020 Hospital Safety Grade are posted.
Options for Hospitals
Hospitals that would like Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results included in their Fall 2020 Hospital Safety Grade have two options:
- Option 1: Submit a 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey by the Submission Deadline, which has been extended to August 31, 2020. As a reminder, requirements for submission of the 2020 Survey have been significantly reduced.
- Option 2: Maintain 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results (if available), which are currently published on Leapfrog’s Survey Results Website. This is a one-time-only option being offered as part of Leapfrog’s response to COVID-19.
To be clear, we in no way mean to communicate that by maintaining your 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results (at www.leapfroggroup.org/compare), you will be maintaining your Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 Hospital Safety Grades. To calculate Hospital Safety Grades, we always use whatever data is public for the 27 measures on the Data Snapshot Dates.
The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade uses up to 27 national performance measures from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), the Leapfrog Hospital Survey and information from other supplemental data sources. Taken together, those performance measures produce a single letter grade representing a hospital’s overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors. Leapfrog will publish the Fall 2020 Hospital Safety Grade Data Snapshot Date in the proposed changes document in early May.
Details on Option 1: Submitting a 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey
The 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey opened on April 1. In response to COVID-19, Leapfrog has significantly reduced the submission requirements for 2020. Hospitals choosing to submit the 2020 Survey must complete the five sections of the Survey that constitute Leapfrog’s minimum requirements for submission, including Section 1 Basic Hospital Information, Section 2 CPOE, Section 4 Maternity Care, Section 5 ICU Physician Staffing, and Section 6 Patient Safety Practices.
Hospitals submitting the minimum required sections will not be scored or publicly reported as “Declined to Respond” for any additional Survey sections that are not submitted. Leapfrog will score and publicly report the remaining sections of the Survey as “Not Available,” which will be described on our public reporting website as unavailable data due to the COVID-19 crisis. Hospitals are still encouraged to submit all applicable sections of the Survey.
In addition to the five required sections listed above, hospitals that would like 2020 Survey Results for the 5 healthcare-associated infection measures and Bar Code Medication Administration (BCMA) used in the Fall 2020 Safety Grade must submit Section 7 and Section 8.
In addition to significantly reducing submission requirements, Leapfrog has made additional changes to the measures on the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey to support hospitals that participate:
- The CPOE Evaluation Tool has been removed from Section 2. Hospitals will report and be scored on utilization only (i.e. percentage of inpatient orders entered via the CPOE system). Survey Results from Section 2 will be used in the Fall 2020 Safety Grade.
- The reporting period for administering a culture of safety survey has been updated from 24 months to 36 months. Survey Results from Safe Practice 2 will be used in the Fall 2020 Hospital Safety Grade.
- Only hospitals that scored as “Achieved the Standard” (four out of four bars) or “Considerable Achievement” (three out of four bars) on Hand Hygiene will have their Results publicly reported. Hospitals that scored “Some Achievement” or “Limited Achievement” will be publicly reported as “Not Available.” The new Hand Hygiene standard will be used in the Fall 2020 Hospital Safety Grade for hospitals that score “Achieved the Standard” or “Considerable Achievement.”
For more information on the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey, download a hard copy of the Survey here.
Details on Option 2: Maintaining 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results In lieu of Reporting to the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey
For hospitals that are not able to submit a 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey, Leapfrog will maintain
2019 Survey Results on the our public reporting website (www.leapfroggroup.org/compare) for those hospitals that completed a 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Survey.
To select this option, no action is required. Hospitals that submitted a 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Survey will automatically have their 2019 Survey Results maintained on our public reporting website. These 2019 Survey Results will also automatically be used in the Fall 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade.
However, hospitals that would like to update their 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results (i.e. report a change in performance) or have Survey Results included for the first time in the Fall 2020 Hospital Safety Grade, must submit the substantially reduced 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey by August 31.
Want to discuss your options?
As part of Leapfrog’s COVID-19 response plan, we are offering to schedule a one-on-One technical assistance call with the Help Desk. Help Desk Coordinators will be available to review 2019 Survey Results and discuss reporting options for 2020, in addition to answering any questions about these changes or addressing any other issues related to submitting the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey. To request a technical assistance call, visit the Help Desk and select “Technical Assistance Call” from the Leapfrog Hospital Survey related issues drop-down menu. Calls will be scheduled within 24 hours.