Key Information for the Spring 2021 Safety Grade
Including Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results in the Spring 2021 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade
Options for Hospitals
Hospitals that would like Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results included in their Spring 2021 Hospital Safety Grade have two options:
- Option 1: Submit a 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey by the Late Submission Deadline, which has been extended to December 31, 2020. As a reminder, requirements for submission of the 2020 Survey have been significantly reduced.
- Option 2: Maintain 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results (if available), which are currently published on Leapfrog’s Survey Results Website. This is a one-time-only option being offered as part of Leapfrog’s response to COVID-19.
To calculate the Spring 2021 Hospital Safety Grade, we will use whatever data is public for the 27 measures on the January 31, 2021 Data Snapshot Date. Hospitals are encouraged to view their Survey Results. Download Spring 2021 Reporting Periods.
See below for information applicable to facilities that do not complete a 2019 or 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey.
Details on Option 1: Submitting a 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey
The 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey opened on April 1. In response to COVID-19, Leapfrog has significantly reduced the submission requirements for 2020. Hospitals choosing to submit the 2020 Survey must complete the five sections of the Survey that constitute Leapfrog’s minimum requirements for submission, including Section 1 Basic Hospital Information, Section 2 CPOE, Section 4 Maternity Care, Section 5 ICU Physician Staffing, and Section 6 Patient Safety Practices.
In addition to the five required sections listed above, hospitals that would like 2020 Survey Results for the 5 healthcare-associated infection measures and Bar Code Medication Administration (BCMA) used in the Spring 2021 Safety Grade must submit Section 7 and Section 8.
In addition to significantly reducing submission requirements, Leapfrog has made additional changes to the measures on the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey to support hospitals that participate:
- The CPOE Evaluation Tool has been removed from Section 2. Hospitals will report and be scored on utilization only (i.e. percentage of inpatient orders entered via the CPOE system). Survey Results from Section 2 will be used in the Spring 2021 Safety Grade.
- The reporting period for administering a culture of safety survey has been updated from 24 months to 36 months. Survey Results from Safe Practice 2 will be used in the Spring 2021 Hospital Safety Grade.
- Only hospitals that scored as “Achieved the Standard” (four out of four bars) or “Considerable Achievement” (three out of four bars) on Hand Hygiene will have their Results publicly reported. Hospitals that scored “Some Achievement” or “Limited Achievement” will be publicly reported as “Not Available.” The new Hand Hygiene standard will be used in the Spring 2021 Hospital Safety Grade for hospitals that score “Achieved the Standard” or “Considerable Achievement.”
For more information on the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey, download a hard copy of the Survey here.
Details on Option 2: Maintaining 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results in lieu of Reporting to the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey
For hospitals that are not able to submit a 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey, Leapfrog will maintain 2019 Survey Results on our public reporting website for those hospitals that completed a 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Survey.
To select this option, no action is required. Hospitals that submitted a 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Survey will automatically have their 2019 Survey Results maintained on our public reporting website. These 2019 Survey Results will also automatically be used in the Spring 2021 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade.
However, hospitals that would like to update their 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results (i.e. report a change in performance) or have Survey Results included for the first time in the Spring 2021 Hospital Safety Grade, must submit the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey by December 31.
The Leapfrog Group was recently notified that the American Hospital Association (AHA) will not renew our data license in December. Therefore, beginning with the Spring 2021 Safety Grade, AHA Survey and IT Supplement data can no longer be used as a secondary data source to calculate scores for the following three measures: ICU Physician Staffing, Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE), and Bar Code Medication Administration (BCMA). This change will only affect hospitals that do not submit a Leapfrog Hospital Survey.
Leapfrog’s National Expert Panel and a team at Mathematica are reviewing and testing several alternative methods for scoring the three measures for hospitals that do not submit the Leapfrog Hospital Survey. We will announce the methodology later this year, and it will be used to calculate Spring 2021 Safety Grades for hospitals that have not submitted a Leapfrog Hospital Survey by December 31, 2020, the Late Submission Deadline. Hospitals that would like their current performance on the ICU Physician Staffing, CPOE, and BCMA measures included in the Spring 2021 Hospital Safety Grade, should submit a Leapfrog Hospital Survey by December 31. As a reminder, due to COVID-19, Leapfrog made several one-time-only changes to the Survey that significantly reduced submission requirements this year.
Want to discuss your options?
As part of Leapfrog’s COVID-19 response plan, we are offering scheduled one-on-one technical assistance calls with the Help Desk. Help Desk Coordinators will be available to review 2019 Survey Results and discuss reporting options for 2020, in addition to answering any questions about these changes or addressing any other issues related to submitting the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey. To request a technical assistance call, visit the Help Desk and select “Technical Assistance Call” from the Leapfrog Hospital Survey related issues drop-down menu. Calls will be scheduled within 24 hours.